Randles specializes in writing books on UFOs and paranormal phenomena. To date 50 of these have been published, ranging from her first UFOs: A British Viewpoint (1979) to Breaking the Time Barrier: The race to build the first time machine (2005). Subjects covered include crop circles, ESP, life after death, time anomalies and spontaneous human combustion.
According to her publishers, Simon & Schuster, Randles studied physics and geology at university, has written articles for New Scientist, and has sold more than 1.5 million copies of her fifty published books.2 It was stated in 1997 that her books had been published in 24 countries.3
Her long involvement within British Ufology has resulted in her acquiring a wide circle of contacts throughout the UFO scene; ranging from Nick Redfern, Andy J Roberts, Nick Pope, Timothy Good through to figures such as Jerome Clarke in the United States.
The Oz Factor is a term invented by Randles in 1983 to describe the strange, seemingly altered state of being that is claimed by some witnesses of unidentified flying objects and other purportedly paranormal events.
She defined the Oz Factor as "the sensation of being isolated, or transported from the real world into a different environmental framework…where reality is but slightly different, [as in] the fairytale land of Oz."4
This quality is reported in many accounts of UFOs and related phenomena; Randles speculates that "The Oz factor certainly points to consciousness as the focal point of the UFO encounter."
Among Randles' numerous published books are the following:
- The UFOs That Never Were, co-written with Andy J Roberts and Dr David Clarke. (ISBN 1902809351).
- UFO Retrievals: The Recovery of Alien Spacecraft. (ISBN 0713724935).
- Breaking the Time Barrier: The Race to Build the First Time Machine.
- Time Storms: The Amazing Evidence of Time Warps, Space Rifts and Time Travel.
- Supernatural Pennines.
- Spontaneous Human Combustion.
- Beyond Explanation.
- U.F.O. Conspiracy: From the Official Case Files of the World's Leading-Nations.
- UFOs and How to See Them.
- The Unexplained: Great Mysteries of the 20th Century.
- Supernatural Isle of Man. Robert Hale Ltd, 2003 (ISBN 0-7090-7076-4).
- The UFO Conspiracy: The First Forty Years.
- The Paranormal Year.
- Psychic Detectives.
- Men in Black: Investigating the Truth Behind the Phenomenon.
- Time Travel: Fact, Fiction and Possibility.
- The Afterlife: An Investigation into the Mysteries of Life After Death.
- Science and the UFOs.
- Complete Book of UFOs, The: Investigation into Alien Contacts and Encounters.
- Alien Contact: Window on Another World, co-written with Paul Wetnall, 1981
- UFO Study.5